Back to list

What entry requirements do I need to study abroad? 

Entry requirements are the academic qualifications and/or practical work experience that a student must have, in order to apply for a programme at a university. However, they vary across courses and sometimes, across countries.  

So, what entry requirements do you need to study abroad? We have listed below, basic entry requirements you would need to apply to the university of your choice.  

  • Age Requirement 

  • CGPA/A-Levels 

  • English Proficiency Examination (IELTS or TOEFL) 



  • Age Requirement 

For an undergraduate program, you must not be less than 18 years to apply. 


  • A-Levels (WASSCE/NECO) 

For an undergraduate degree, your A-Levels result (WASSCE/NECO Results) would have to match the criteria set for the course by the university you’re applying to.  

For example, some universities would only accept students who obtained nothing less than credits (C6) in their Maths, English and other related subjects.   


  • English Proficiency Examination (IELTS or TOEFL) 

It is very likely for the university of your choice to ask that you provide proof of English language proficiency, by taking the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). 

Some countries however accept your WASSCE/NECO English results (credit minimum) as a certificate showing your English proficiency.  



  • Class of Degree (CGPA) 

Each course in a university has a Class of grade requirement that must be met in order to apply to their institution.   

For example, some universities won’t accept students with a degree of anything lower than a second class upper (2:1) or a Cumulative GPA of 3.5 for postgraduate studies. 


  • English Proficiency Examination (IELTS or TOEFL) 

For postgraduates, you’ll also be required to prove your English proficiency. 

Some universities however also offer waivers to students with good grades in their WASSCE English and can proof that you were taught in English at their university. While some other universities do not require you to write an English proficiency exam at all.

To get more information on your eligibility status, simply reach out to our UKEAS counsellor with the name of the university you would like to attend, and they’ll be able to put you through for free. 



With 28 years of professional experience,
UKEAS provides whole range of counselling service for your dream blueprint.
By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies. Click here for our full privacy policy