University of St Andrews
St Andrews,KY16 9AJ, Fife, Scotland,, UK
About the University
The University of St Andrews, founded in 1413, is ranked second in the UK, after the University of Cambridge and is in the world’s top 100 in the QS rankings. 22 of our subjects are ranked in the top 5 in the UK in 2021. Students experience world-class teaching, cutting edge research and the flexible degree structure of Scotland’s first university. St Andrews is also ranked Number One mainstream university in the UK for student satisfaction. The University is an internationally Scottish university with staff and students from over 140 nationalities. Over one third of our students are international, making St Andrews a comfortable place for students from all over the world to study. The University has 4 faculties: Science, Medicine, Arts and Divinity with programmes from foundation to PhD.
Why the University?
• ranked 2nd in the UK after University of Cambridge
• 22 subjects ranked in the UK’s top 5
• a top UK university for research
• ranked top in Scotland for the quality of research publications
• voted Number One in the UK for Teaching Quality and for Student Experience 2020
• ranked in world’s top 100 by QS
• highly international, with staff and students from all over the world. Over 40% of students and 33% of staff are from outside the UK.
• we offer foundation programmes, undergraduate and Master’s degrees, and PhDs
• wide range of accommodation options to suit different student lifestyles
• over 150 student societies ranging from artistic and musical through to religious and cultural
• over 50 sports clubs and 100 competitive sports teams, offering sport for everyone at all levels
• lots of distinctive student traditions including academic families, a tradition where older students adopt first year students as ‘children’, and red gowns
St Andrews is a unique place to study and live, and the University is integrated into the town itself. It is situated on the east coast of Scotland, close to Edinburgh, Scotland's capital. The friendly and cosmopolitan town is located beside long sandy beaches and it has a mixture of beautiful medieval and modern architecture. St Andrews is also known as 'the Home of Golf', with many international standard golf courses nearby. Historic buildings are juxtaposed against the modern facilities, and the many student traditions truly make studying at St Andrews an unforgettable experience. St Andrews was awarded the 2012 Creative Place Award – Scotland’s highest arts award – because of its remarkable selection of festivals, cultural events, and community participation. It is a safe, welcoming and peaceful environment to study in.
Founded in the 15th century, St Andrews is Scotland's first university and the third oldest in the English speaking world. Teaching began in the community of St Andrews in 1410, and the University was formally constituted by the issue of a papal bull in 1413.
By February 1411, the school had established itself sufficiently to obtain a charter of incorporation and privileges from the Bishop of St Andrews, Henry Wardlaw. This granted the masters and students recognition as a properly constituted corporation, duly privileged and safeguarded for the pursuit of learning. However, recognised university status and the authority to grant degrees could only be conferred by the Pope or the Emperor as heads of Christendom.
Bishop Wardlaw turned to the exiled Pope Benedict XIII to seek his blessing. King James, despite being a prisoner of the English, added his weight to the petition. In return for Scotland’s loyalty, Pope Benedict readily agreed, and on 28 August 1413 full University status was conferred by a series of six papal bulls – one of which survives to this day in the University of St Andrews museum, MUSA.
School Type: Public
Times Ranking: 3
Guardian Ranking: 3
Independent Ranking: 4
Tuition Fee: $ $ $ $
No. of students: 5000-10000
Acceptance Rate: 1 - 10%
Ave High School GPA: 3.6 - 4
Student / faculty ratio: 12:7
Degrees offered: Bachelor's degree,Master's degree,Doctorate
St Andrews,KY16 9AJ, Fife, Scotland,, UK
Town/City: St Andrews
Nearest Airport: Edinburgh