In Country Officer - University of Kent
Academic Strategy, Planning & Performance/Marketing, Outreach & Student Recruitment: Marketing & Recruitment
The University of Kent is a leading UK institution with an excellent reputation for outstanding teaching, strong research and international links. There are many new initiatives underway to build on existing strengths, such as Signature Research Themes, the Institute for Cultural and Creative Industries and the Kent and Medway Medical School.
The University is continuing to look to the future whilst responding to sector-wide challenges. Kent has set out a vision and strategy that builds upon strong foundations in education, student experience and research, embracing flexibility and growth to ensure a sustainable future for our community, and to enable the University to further its position and navigate these challenges successfully.
As part of this, we’re reshaping our operating model to ensure our directorates and academic divisions are effective, efficient and focused sharply on delivering the University’s ambition to be a leading civic university; delivering an outstanding student experience, outcomes, and world-leading research.
The in country representative will be an employee of UKEAS in Nigeria with the sole purpose of supporting the University of Kent. The post holder will have close contact with UKEAS agency staff; the International Marketing and Recruitment team, in particular the International Officer (Africa) and all members of University staff involved with international student recruitment and marketing.
This position is an exciting opportunity to raise our profile in Nigeria and develop our global network of international schools, feeder institutions and agents to enhance Kent’s reputation and increase international student opportunities for the University.
Activity will focus on the expansion of the crucial Nigerian market, attracting potential undergraduate and postgraduate students and the conversion of applicants into enrolled students as well as providing year-round support and advice for all relevant stakeholders.
The following are the main accountabilities for the job. Other duties, commensurate with the grading of the job, may also be assigned from time to time.
1. Assist in the development and implementation of the international marketing and recruitment strategy to ensure international student recruitment targets and objectives are met.
2. In conjunction with the International Marketing Manager and International Officer (Africa) plan and deliver a full range of recruitment and marketing activities across a broad mix of marketing and communications channels both remotely and through in country activity.
3. Develop our relationship with external organisations such as overseas embassies, funding bodies, overseas schools and other education institutions in Nigeria to maximise recruitment through these channels.
4. Nurture the relationship with agents in Nigeria to ensure the University maximises the potential of its overseas agents to recruit students on its behalf
5. Maintain and develop productive relationships with colleagues in UKEAS and across the University.
Key challenges and decisions
The following provide an overview of the most challenging or complex parts of the role and the degree of autonomy that exists.
1. The role holder will be expected to work autonomously, especially when on university trips with minimal guidance from the University or UKEAS
2. The post holder should have an excellent knowledge and understanding of the University, entry requirements and visa regulations to effectively respond to a wide range of queries and advise potential students regarding their choice of university and course
3. Organising and undertaking travel, often alone, to represent the University through various activities including: exhibitions, presentations, conversion events, agent visits and other activities and meetings appropriate to student recruitment in Nigeria and, on occasion to other countries
4. Identifying and maintaining relationships with key personnel in various organisations, especially recruitment agencies and institutional partners
5. Gathering and disseminating market intelligence about local market issues impacting recruitment to inform strategic decision-making to colleagues in International Recruitment and across the University
6. Working in collaboration with the International Officer (Recruitment) to contribute to the yearly plan of marketing and recruitment activity and provide regular updates and feedback on plans and activities.
Facts & figures
The post holder will be expected to contribute to achieving the yearly recruitment targets from Nigeria at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. These are set on each year in line with the International Recruitment strategy.
We would expect a significant number of events to be attended (In 2019/20 recruitment year this was approximately 40 events October – June). The post holder and International Officer (Africa) will be expected to manage the event budget of approximately £10,000.
Please note: There are a number of busy periods within this role and some degree of flexibility around working hours and holidays will be required. Some evening and weekend work is to be expected.
Internal & external relationships
International Marketing and Recruitment, UKEAS, MORA Directorate, Marketing & Recruitment Managers, Academic staff, current Nigerian students, International Programmes
External: International Schools, Language Schools, Colleges, Universities, Private education providers, UK based Embassy staff, Funding bodies, Agents, Exhibition and Event organisers, University of Kent alumni
The role holder is expected to demonstrate a commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion; promoting collaboration and positive partnerships, working harmoniously with colleagues, students and other stakeholders of all cultures and backgrounds.
Health, safety & wellbeing considerations
This job involves undertaking duties which include the following health, safety and wellbeing considerations:
• Working in isolation
• Regular use of Screen Display Equipment
• Conflict resolution
• There may be a requirement to work evenings and weekends
• Overseas travel is a requirement of the role
The person specification details the necessary skills, qualifications, experience or other attributes needed to carry out the job. Applications will be measured against the criteria published below.
Selection panels will be looking for clear evidence and examples in an application, or cover letter (where applicable), which back-up any assertions made in relation to each criterion.
You’ll be able to demonstrate the following skills, experience, abilities and personal interests:
Essential Criteria Assessed via
• Educated to degree level (or equivalent qualification) in any discipline A
• Relevant experience working of in an international student marketing and recruitment environment A
• Knowledge of education systems and qualifications, particularly in UK and Nigeria A, I
• Ability to research and deliver innovative online and offline marketing activities A, I, T
• Proven success in developing and managing effective international networks and external relationships A, I
• Cultural awareness and experience in dealing with international organisations and individuals A, I
• Ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences both in writing and orally, including strong presentation skills A, I, T
• Excellent organisational skills and the ability to work independently and as a part of a team A, I
• Experience and awareness of the global student recruitment market and of the issues impacting on HEIs within this market I
• Commitment to deliver and promote equality, diversity and inclusivity in the day to day work of the role I
Desirable Assessed via
• Knowledge of International Schools, International Pathways programmes and alternative University preparation qualifications A,I
• Experience of working with International Recruitment Agencies A
• Knowledge of Key Stakeholders including the British Council, UKISA, UKVI, UCAS, CIS A, I
• Knowledge of UK visa regulations A, I
* A - Application; I - Interview; T - Test/presentation at interview stage
Salary Scale: On appointment
Department: International Recruitment
Location: UKEAS office, Lagos office
Responsible to: International Officer and UKEAS Country Management
Method of Application
Kindly send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 10th of June, 2021
i. Interviews will be held one week after the closing date
ii. Send CV & Covering letter in PDF as one document (not separately)
iii. Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews
iv. Expected start date is July 2021
In Country Officer - University of Kent